Alice Vacek Aranda
Phoenix Immigration Lawyer
Call Today! 602-842-1115
Areas & Topics

Bankruptcy and Back Child Support

I am behind on my child support.  Can filing bankruptcy help me?

It depends on whether a Debtor files a Chapter 7 bankruptcy or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. There are subtle differences.

Generally, the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 made child support obligations non-dischargeable. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition will have no effect on back child support.

Even a Chapter 13 does not discharge back child support.  However, a Chapter 13 will allow a Debtor to pay off back child-support through a Chapter 13 Plan.  The Debtor will be required to pay off the entire amount of back child support but can pay it off over the span of the 3 to 5 year Plan.

Deciding whether to file a Chapter 13 Plan is more complicated that it appears.  There are many variables to consider.  For that reason, it is important to consult with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.  The Law Offices of Alice Vacek Aranda PLLC offers a free one half hour consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Phoenix Office
668 North 44th Street
East Wing, Suite 300
Phoenix, AZ 85008

Phone: 602-842-1115
Fax: 602-926-2534
Map & Directions

Cottonwood Office
Cottonwood Business Center
821 North Main Street
Cottonwood, AZ 86326

Phone: 602-842-1115
Fax: 602-926-2534
Map & Directions